Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Electric Paper Towel Dispensers in Public Restrooms

There are a lot of little things in life that annoy everyone. I am no different. Usually my annoyances are with the stupidity of other people. One of the things that really bothers me is the electric paper towel dispensers in public restrooms. On the surface these are lovely machines that further help Americans become more and more lazy in every facet of their lives. I am all for being lazy trust me on that. The purpose of the machine is probably to limit the amount of paper towels a person is using or to make it harder for people to waste paper towels. Fine.

However, these machines serve no purpose for people who actually want to dry their hands. I am sorry, but after going to the bathroom I have this nasty little habit of washing my hands. I know I am picky, but public bathrooms are gross. I am only washing my hands because I am not sure who has been using the bathroom before me. This is usually how it goes when I am in a restroom.

Step 1: Enter
Step 2: Use the Urinal or Toilet.
Step 3: Finish My Business
Step 4: Wash My Hands.
Step 5: Dry My Hands
Step 6: Leave

The problem comes in step 5 when the stupid machine only spits out a small towel. I need more than one towel, so now I have to wait for it to spit out another one. What if this is still not enough. Now I have to wait for another towel. Some times it will not give you another towel. Some times it doesn't give you towels at all. This drives me absolutely crazy. All I need is the old school white towel dispensers that allow me to take as many paper towels as I need and go along my way. What is going to be next, electric toilet paper dispensers? This is a perfect example of technology running amuck and creeping in to aspects of our lives that do not need to be tampered with. People have been peeing and shitting without the use of technology for thousands of years. We don't need the help of technology in the bathroom period.

1 comment:

Big Dave said...

What I really love are those old school ones with the continuous roll of cloth towel...those are awesome. Until it gets really busy and they are perpetually damp. But at least they are reusable.